The Order of Malta Clinic remains true to the Order of Malta’s inspiring principles set out nearly a thousand years ago: “Tuitio Fidei et Obsequium Pauperum” – Defence of the Faith and Care of the Poor and the Suffering.
Members of the Order recognize the image of God in every single individual and are obliged to work wherever the God-given dignity of human life is endangered. The Order of Malta Clinic will make this reality by providing medical and social services to the most disadvantaged in Timor-Leste.
To provide free medical treatment to those Timorese who are financially disadvantaged and enhance the capacity of the local health practitioners and healthcare system through knowledge up-skilling and mentoring.
Areas of Focus:
To provide excellent basic primary out of hospital medical care and health education to the people of Timor-Leste, with an emphasis on the care of women and children.
Clinic Principles of Practice:
- Provide not-for-profit outpatient primary health care medical services to the people of Timor-Leste, irrespective of race, religion or socioeconomic status.
- Provide emergency care to all within the capability and available resources of the clinic.
- Work within the existing healthcare system of Timor-Leste.
- Ensure that the clinic operational guidelines, standards and principles are within the boundaries, teachings and precepts of the Roman Catholic Church and the charism and values of the Sovereign Order of Malta.
- Remain independent of any political activities or involvement with any political party.
- Forge a lasting partnership between the Order of Malta Clinic, partner organizations, and the government of Timor-Leste.